Stacie woke up this morning with a fever...aches, chills and a 101.8 temp. So after calling around to find out where/who to check in with, we ended up driving to the closest ER (Good Samaritan in Downers Grove). And that is where we're at now, waiting for blood and urine tests to come back. However regardless of the results, Stacie will not be able to visit Jonah for the next 48 hours. We're praying it's not something contagious and Jonah's not at risk. Dad feels fine and will probably visit Jonah later this evening once Stacie is back home and rested. It's devastating to know Stacie can't be with her son over the weekend.
Jonah is still doing good. The docs are getting more aggressive on getting the fluids out of him, so they got Diuril and Lasix to make him "diurese" (i.e. pee a lot). If over the next few days his swelling subsides, they will probably close his chest on Monday. Jonah is also on TPN now, and they are turning the dial down on the respirator which allows his lungs to work more independently.
Yesterday was also the first time Jonah opened his eyes since surgery! He was looking around, looking at his parents, looking at all the machinery surrounding him...but it seemed like he started to realize where he was and noticed the breathing tube jammed down his throat. I would be pissed too. The more he fought the tube, the more air he gulped into his stomach - which caused hiccups. Imagine hiccups with your chest wide open... We could see Jonah making all the faces like he's crying out, but it's silent. On one hand we were ecstatic to see his eyes open, but on the other hand, the more awake he was, the more irritable he became. The nurse agreed it would be a good idea to turn up the sedative and pain med, and based on the report we got last night, he slept much more comfortable overnight.
Since I started this post, Stacie is feeling better and sweating out the fever....she's at least good enough to squeeze a pumping session in the ER gurney...oh how I wish I had a picture to post!!! :)