How old am I?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Thursday, August 5, 2010

The first 24 hours...

Yesterday, sometime around 4:30pm, Jonah sailed right past the 24 hour post operative period with flying colors. During this time after the Norwood procedure, there is an elaborate dance between medications, ventilator settings, blood pressures, lab results, IV fluid in, urine and chest tube fluid out...and our 6 day old little Jonah gets to choreograph the whole thing. The doctors and nurses take this process very seriously and would do nothing to push Jonah too fast. Basically, with every finely tuned adjustment the team waits for his response to the change and move on methodically from there. This is what makes these hours so unpredictable. In turn, it makes Rob and I hold on to every breath every time our phones ring. Of course, Jonah has made us so proud! He is taking this whole thing like such a champ!! He has tolerated every change the medical team has made and is moving in the right direction. We celebrate and are so thankful for each milestone he meets while at the same time remind ourselves that anything can happen. With that being said, my anxious heart is always met with the calming peace of our loving God ultimately reminding me that He has the upper hand in all of this.

At the end of such a big day (and after having to go back to the hospital at 1100pm last night to get some pumping supplies I left there), Rob and I came home to our "first child" (our dog) Sasha!! There was nothing better than seeing her at the door shivering with excitement as we pulled into the garage and the jumping around at our feet as we met her in the yard!

Somehow everything just seemed alright.

4 comments:

  1. Just got caught up. Wonderful news! Very happy for you! Keep up the fight! All three of you!

    Greg Kaiser

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad that things are going well! I think about and pray for the three of you every day and wish you the best! We miss you at CMH!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stacie,
    I just got finished reading through your entire blog as I just got the link to your website last night and I can't tell you how happy I am for both you, your husband, baby Jonah and your entire family. I have been thinking about you a lot since you left several months ago and never got tell you good-bye and wish you luck! My heart is overjoyed for you and I can't imagine your relief now that the first surgery is over and although there is a long road ahead, you have jumped the first hurdle and made it. You are a changed woman...you are a mom! Even you don't know how much you are capable of handling now that you bear that title. You, Rob and especially Jonah are in my prayers every night. Congratulations on your beautiful baby boy and on his triumphant first week!

    Love
    Jill
    (Day Hosp)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys! Just finished catching up on your blog. I'm so glad that Jonah's surgery went well. He is absolutely precious! What a blessing! You both are such strong people and amazing parents. I have to tell you how much I admire your strength right now. I can say that you two are truly an inspiration. We will continue to pray for you guys and Jonah - it's so awesome to watch God answer prayer! We love you guys and can't wait to meet Jonah!
    Love,
    Shannon

    ReplyDelete