How old am I?

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Turning Point

It is the day before Jonah has his 2nd open heart surgery and he is 14 weeks and 5 days old...exactly. Those numbers hold some meaning with me because I never, in 1,000,000 years, would have thought we would be preparing for the Glenn so soon. All of the numbers that the doctors give you at the very beginning are a complete approximation. Nothing is ever guaranteed. But sitting at the table, pregnant with the baby that these ballpark figures impact the most, I was definitely holding on to the idea that Jonah would be having the Glenn done somewhere around 4-6 months. I guess I held on too tight to that and is why I still am so amazed we are actually at this turning point.

Every story we have read, every parent of a child with HLHS...even the doctors and nurses...says that after the Glenn, life for these kiddos becomes so much easier (relatively, of course). These babies hopefully begin to gain weight a little better, energy and strength improves, and they are overall just happier babies. Although I have heard this several times, it is not something I am quite convinced of yet. It's one of those, "I'll believe it when I see it" type of things. In a way, I think I have become used to the way things are and sort of assume this is just the way it is. And, we have adjusted. For the most part, we have fallen into a comfortable day-to-day rhythm...and as odd as it is to say...it's really not that bad!! It is all about to change though. For the better!! And, when I really let that sink in, I get really excited (of course, scared at the same time:)). Because the gift of having Jonah here with us every minute of every day learning about the world... realizing for the first time that his hand is actually connected to his body instead of floating randomly in front of him-then using it to bat at his toys, smiling and reacting to his goofy parents making all sorts of funny noises and faces, and being loved by all of his grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, and cousins...I can't imagine life any better than it is at this very moment!!!

Even though we know the recovery of this surgery will have its challenges, we are so excited to get to the other side. To really see, for Jonah, how the Glenn will help him turn the corner after the hardest fight he has ever had to fight. The Norwood was by far the most complex of the 3 surgeries and the time in between the Norwood and the Glenn is the most unpredictable. To know that we are about to close that door and open another...I can honestly say, I am ready to go running in!!!!

5 comments:

  1. Praying for Jonah tomorrow as he undergoes his Glenn. I can tell you, that what they say, is right. Life is different- generally less stressful after the Glenn. Recovery is normally much easier also.
    (((heart hugs))) and keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know we're here for your praying and rooting you guys on. If you need anything day or night in the coming days (or any other time) please don't hestitate to call or text!
    Hugs!
    Lisa, Brian & Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll be praying for you tomorrow! And yes, life is generally SO MUCH BETTER after the Glenn that there's really no comparison. I thought life was good (if worrisome) before the Glenn, but it's so much better now. And recovery from the Glenn is generally much easier than the Norwood as well. Praying for a smooth ride for you guys - Jonah deserves it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stacie and Rob,
    You and Jonah will be in our prayers tonight and tomorrow. I have an idea of the emotional roller coaster your finding yourself on. Your anxious and excited to do all you can to help him, but you want to hold on to him and not ever let him go. Jonah, as usual, is going to amaze all of us. God will continue to perform His miracles in Jonah.
    Let us know if we can do anything.
    We love you,
    Aunt Patty and Uncle Jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you and Jonah, praying for a speedy recovery. And yes, I didn't believe it until I saw it myself either. This life is so unpredictable, but Zoe is much happier and healthier than pre-Hemi Fontan. You will be happier and healthier too. Can't wait to see your updates. Prepare yourselves for a few rough days; then you're home-free.

    Heart hugs,
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete